Are you on a diet or watching your figure?
Then this is a recipe your going to want to skip. You can find refried beans that are vegetarian and a little more healthy, just not in this post. This is for those “Mexican restaurant” style beans. I hope you give it a try!
- 1 # pinto beans
- 4 Tbsp lard
- 4 Tbsp bacon drippings
- 10- 12 cups water
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sort through the beans and remove any split beans and stones in the package. Let the beans soak in a large pot or water over night. Make sure the water is a few inches above the beans because they will expand.
- Drain the beans and place back in the pot. Add 2 Tbsp of the lard and 1/2 of the chopped onion on the beans, then cover with water and bring to a boil. Once the beans come to a boil lower the heat and let the beans simmer for about 4 hours, or until the skin breaks and the beans are just soft.
- Drain the beans, save a cup of the liquid to use to adjust the consistency of the beans later.
- To a large saute pan add the remainder of the lard and the bacon drippings, saute the onions without browning.
- Slowly add the beans and smash with the back of a spoon. Once all of the beans are added remove from heat.
- Use a blender to pulse and smooth the beans (in small batches), add the left over liquid to reach your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Call it your own! Eat and enjoy!